Monday, December 20, 2010

Robert’s Ruins

Hubert Robert (1733–1808) was a French painter who marks the transition from Neoclassicism to Romanticism. Like many artists of his time he traveled to Italy to visit and study there architecture, museums and landscape. Soon ruins became his favorite subject, which earned him the nickname "Robert of the Ruines".

Interior of the Temple of Diana at Nimes (1771)

Roman Ruins (c. 1760)

The Old Bridge (c.1775)

But even though he chose classical ruins as subjects he painted them in a romantic manner. It’s a sweet decay reminding of greater times which have long passed by.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting character, Hubert Robert. Have you seen his design for the Louvre's Grande Galerie and subsequent re-imagination of it as a ruin? (Link)

    (Longtime lurker, first-time poster. I hope it's not too gauche to link to my own web site!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure do I know the Louvre paintings. To me they are a kind of roots of all the modern post-apocaylptic paintings.
    And I don't mind links to interesting pages like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very kind of you -- the virtual tumbleweeds have been blowing through it for a while now, unfortunately.

    I was slightly surprised that you didn't lead with the Louvre. But I don't think I've seen the Nimes painting before, so I can't complain. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're totally right with the importance of the Louvre-paintings. I "spared" them for later, Just wanted to start with a little Robert-stuff, kind of introduction.

    ReplyDelete